Wednesday, May 23, 2012

May 18th

Soo limes were on sale 10 for $1.00 at this new grocery store in town....


I decided to make some fresh lime sorbet with my new ice cream maker.


I also discovered the fourth most painful thing a human can experience (next to a broken femur, child birth, and getting kicked in the groin). I heated my limes up in the microwave to make juicing them a little easier. Unfortunately I didn't think of how the time would be different for a lime with its rind and a lime that has been scraped of all of its zest. I heated one up a little too long...


...I cut into the lime really carefully so no juice would spray out. I squeezed some of the juice out. And then I started squishing the pulp down with a spoon to break the juice pockets and get more out.... Well. One of the juice pockets broke and sprayed steaming hot lime juice right into my eye... I think lime juice would've hurt enough at room temperature but this was just horribly painful. Then I had the bright idea of opening my eye, which was stupid because the air on it just made it sting even more.


Anyways, I still have my vision so it's all good.


So here is the recipe I used, from Sam Tan's Kitchen. It's actually not meant for an ice cream maker, they just put it in a freezer for a few hours, took it out and stirred it, and put it back in the freezer. But I thought I could make it easier in the ice cream maker.


Anyways it didn't work for me. Not the ice cream maker but I just couldn't make the simple syrup properly. I'll have to practice that a little more. I also used up all the sugar so I couldn't retry it.


It wouldn't freeze to anything close to firm, even after hours and hours. It was also a little weird having so much zest in there (6 limes!). So we ended up eating it served with vanilla ice cream. That was pretty good because it made it more smooth and calmed down the 'zestiness' a little bit.


Next time I'll make sure to wear goggles before I go juicing any hot citrus fruits!

No comments:

Post a Comment